Position: Technical Artistic Director Cultural Park Community Theatre
JOB DESCRIPTION Position: The Technical Artistic Director is responsible for all activities surrounding the technical requirements of main stage productions and special events. Reports To: Executive Director. Supervises: Production volunteers
Hours: Part-Time, flexible schedule, nights and weekends required.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and education.
Cultural Park Community Theatre (CPTC) has been the premiere community theatre in Lee County Florida, since its inception in 1962. Now in our 58th season, CPTC entertains thousands of patrons each year and produces ten productions from September through May, with a 6 production concert series and a 6 production Summer Series. CPTC also offers youth education classes at the theatre, including summer theatre camps. Cultural Park Community Theatre is a nonprofit 501)c3 theater company and the primary resident of the thirty two year old, state-of-the art, Cultural Park Performing Arts Center which sits nestled in beautiful Cape Coral, Florida. The Center contains a 184 seat proscenium theatre.
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY: Responsible for full artistic and technical needs of the theater. The Technical Artistic Director will meet with all production directors to plan design and construct sets for all productions as scheduled for each season. The Technical Artistic Director will also schedule and arrange calendar for each production scheduling rehearsal schedules for various productions in rehearsal at the same time within the facility. The Technical Artistic Director will split the event manage on duty role by attending productions and securing the facility after each performance this includes both CPT productions and outside rentals. The Technical Artistic Director plans and manages the production of all lights and sound; supporting guest artists and directors in producing work that is always professional in quality; takes a leadership role to help create and support a working and producing environment that is artistically satisfying, professional, efficient and safe; attends and lends perspective and expertise at appropriate staff and production meetings, including technical and dress rehearsals; and represents the Theatre to build positive relationships on its behalf within the profession and with others as appropriate.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: Working within the vision of each guest artist and production Directors, to produce a finished and appropriate design in line with the allocated budget and assigned deadlines.
- Assist with recruitment and supervision of technical production volunteers.
- Attend concept and production meetings, reply to production staff inquiries, and facilitate communication between all members of the production team, volunteers, and management.
- Collaborate with guest performers to have designs developed and approved on schedule
- Run technical rehearsals with directors, stage manager, and actors including preview night.
- Rehearsals during tech week.
- CPTC expects lighting and sound to reflect high artistic quality with professional attention to detail.
- Implement best practices for scenic rigging to include overhead lifting.
- Design all lighting and sound effects for each production and event as needed.
- Maintain a lighting plot and hang, cable, gel and focus all lighting instruments needed during the production.
- Maintain the integrity of the lighting and sound equipment in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Protect CPTC’s investments in equipment and facilities.
- Maintain lights, and sound during the production run, and perform any needed repairs during the course of the production before the next scheduled performance.
- Be on call for any tech emergencies during production runs.
- Design, build sets for all CPT productions while working with volunteers, directors and cast members.
- Move set furnishing to and from storage for production use
- Maintain safe clean workshop area.
- Work with the Executive Director to plan artistic and technical budgets for the theater.
- In coordination with Executive Director, maintain theatre equipment, including but not limited to lights, dimmers, sound and light boards, tools, spotlights, lumber, paint and building supplies. Coordinate repairs and plan for replacements. Equipment expenses must be pre-approved by the Executive Director.
- Set and retain high professional standards for cleanliness, efficiency and safety of ALL production spaces.
- Proficient in maintaining and operating a counter-weight fly system. Supervise and train tech volunteers.
- Teach pre-show checks to sound & light board operators before opening night.
- Provide necessary written copy for playbill. “Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director or Board of Directors.
- Strong planning, organizational, people/communications, teaching and general management skills are a must.
- Appreciation of and ability to support the creative needs and ambitions of the theatre’s artists while keeping the work on schedule, within budget and on plan, with an interest in resourceful and conservative material use.
- Must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively and be able to work without immediate supervision.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Enthusiastic and patient when working with amateur performers and volunteers.
- Proven communication skills, both oral and written.
- Computer proficiency-Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel) as well as computer-aided design software.
- Leadership level personal and professional standards a must.
- Able to prioritize, be flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced creative environment.
- Job requires climbing ladders, working in, on, and around heights, plus lifting and carrying up to 100 pounds.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Bachelor’s degree in Theatre with a Technical Emphasis, or the equivalent experience.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and sample portfolio pictures (if available) via mail or email to: Michael Moran, Executive Director 528 Cultural Park Blvd. 33990 email@example.com Cultural Park Community Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.